Leads Source, Inc.
125 Highpower Road
Rochester, NY 14623
75 Ways to increase your direct
- Make sure that direct mail is a proper medium for your business,
that you can use it effectively to contact sufficient number of
identifiable and addressable good prospects, with sufficient frequency,
at sufficiently low cost, to show a satisfactory net profit on
your direct mail efforts.
- For direct mail to be most successful, it should offer the
right product or service at the right price on the right to payment
terms to the right prospects at the right time, in the right manner
, to close enough prospects to buy enough of these products or
services to provide you with satisfactory net profit.
- Use action stimulators to get recipients to open your envelope.
- Use ordering action stimulators from start to finish of your
- Stimulate action by featuring (in large type or with a simulated
rubber stamp imprint). Your cutoff date or time limit on one or
more of the the following components:
- On the mailing envelope: front, back or both.
- At the top of your letter.
- On the order form or response vehicle.
- On the reply envelope.
- On a separate leaflets or other enclosure included in the mailing
package for this specified purposes.
- Well-illustrated, detailed descriptions in print can do a better
selling job than most salespersons . It also makes it easier for
the recipient to absorb and understand more of the selling features
of the product.
- Distinctive personality and copywriting style gives your business
, a powerful plus.
- Avoid "add-iness" in your copy style. Make copy sincere
rather than sophisticated, conversational rather than "cute"
or so clever it distracts the reader's attention from the essential
selling elements of the message.
- Unless you believe in what you're writing, the reader probably
- Design your copy to create rapport with your readers.
- Addressing prospects by title , instead of by name offers major
- But slips or pass-along slips containing the titles of persons
in the Company or organization , who should see your mailing can
vastly increased its circulation.
- Pass-along request on the envelope, in the PostScript or on
an enclosure may salvage duplicate or misdirected mailing packages.
- Make more sophisticated use of your own list , and the lists
you rent or buy by looking for those segments of people in a list
who buy... And forget the others.
- Test selective distribution to your list. Some mailing should
go to the entire list , but it may be profitable to stand additional
mailings to selected portions of the list.
- Simulated "tear-out's" of newspaper stories bearing
a brief notation in simulated handwriting attract attention and
increase readership and credibility.
- Enclosure reprints of newspaper or magazine articles to strengthen
- Use reprints to capitalize on favorable mentions in well-known
- Pre-prints of company ads or usually more effective than reprints
- Including third-party endorsements in your mailing package can
- Let the reader. "Peak inside" your mailing envelope
through front and/or back windows.
- Useful-view window envelopes to display attractive literature,
enclosed in your mailing envelope.
- Circular windows in mailing envelopes focus attention on the
- Using mailing envelopes with the windows shaped like the silhouette
of your product makes it very distinctive and increases its attention
and identification value.
Reply envelopes - Use reply envelopes to:
- Summarize and/or expand upon the selling message, offer, premium,
etc., presented in the rest of the mailing package.
- Offer special inducements -- not mentioned elsewhere -- to
purchase the merchandise described in the mailing package.
- Illustrate, described and sell merchandise in addition to that
offered elsewhere in the mailing package.
- Remember that most sales are made after several calls instead
of during the first one, so follow-up inquiries and leads numerous
times before abandoning them.
- Use a simulated "carbon copy" of your original letter
for a follow-up mailing.
- Use telephone follow-ups to supplement your direct mail campaign.
Direct mail formats
- Make your formats has distinctive as possible without distracting
attention from the selling message.
- Make the distinctive elements of the format fit-and an enhanced-the
image of your company and/or your merchandise as much as possible.
- Try an unusual format that you've never use before.
- Very your formats at frequent intervals to avoid monotony and
to strengthen your presentation.
- Change the size of your mailing package frequently to increase
interest and appeal.
Fund raising,To raise funds by mail:
- Be sure to select mailing lists that represent the right markets
for your appeal.
- Design your mailing pieces to sell your appeal just as other
mailing pieces are designed to sell other services or products.
- Explain what you're organization is and what it does.
- Explain why you're organization needs the money and what it
will be used for.
Guarantees and warranties
- State sure guarantees and warranties in the strongest possible,
legally permissible terms -- and repeat or refer to them often
through out the mailing package.
- "Sell" your guarantees and warranties right from the
start -- beginning with the front of the mailing envelope.
- Answer inquiries, complaints and complements promptly, completely,
adequately and with thanks to the sender.
- In replying to increase, give the Inquirer , the information
requested plus a strong. "Sell" about the product plus
the name, address and phone number of the nearest dealer or salesperson
who can supply additional information is desired.
Layout and art
- A well-displayed, well-illustrated product increases the sales
effectiveness of the mailing.
- Give special emphasis to each important elements of the offer
so that none of them are buried or overlooked.
- Use diagonal indentation to emphasize all items in a large
- Make liberal use of white space in designing mailing pieces.
Mailing and postage
- Melt to your customers more often if you are now mailing for
times a year increase the number 26 or eight times a year.
- If you increase your number of mailings by 25%. You should
increase your sales by approximately the same percentage -- maybe
- Think of your customers as prospects for your current offer
who have bought from you before.
- Courtney your direct mail advertising with your advertising
in other media.
- Occupant mail containing coupons has out-pulled coupons in
freestanding newspaper inserts more than 2 to 1 for some retailers.
- Always clearly defined specific objectives of the mailing before
you write copy or make layouts.
- Include more offers in your mailing package than you are at
present. Study the mailings of firms such as Haband company ,
which packs a volume of material into its envelope.
- How many offers can you include profitably in a mailing package?
Only testing can tell.
Order forms/response vehicles
- Make your response vehicles sound more important and more beneficial
to the prospect by calling it a "special opportunity application."
"Reservation certificate" "reservation form"
"free information certificate" etc.., instead of just
- Look at your mailing pieces through the eyes of your prospect
and be sure the mailing piece answers this question, "what's
in it for me?" Clearly, convincingly and persuasively.
Printing and typography
- Get to know your printers -- not printer , but printers. Every
direct marketer needs different types of printers with different
capabilities to come up with different printed pieces at the best
- Get several quotations each time you by printing, envelopes,
letter shop service.
- Look for other products , you can successfully sell to your
- Making about promoting a new product? First at your customers
, if they would be interested in such a product -- in order to
more accurately estimate the product's potential profitability
-- or lack of it.
- Make it is easy as possible for a prospect to respond to your
mailing, including supplying a return envelope for the prospect
to use for mailing his order to you.
- Space , if your product and be sample, test its selling power
as an enclosure in your mailing package.
- Enclose a sample of your product if practical and suggest ways
for the recipient to test it for himself.
- Space major anniversaries provide excellent opportunities are
special promotions and image enhancement.
- Space carefully, selected specialty advertising can send sales
- Enclose and foreign coins in a mailing has doubled response
for some marketers.
- Remember that five basic rules of direct mail: test, test,
test, test, test.
- Test continuously to discover more effective offers, prices,
payment terms, copy, premiums, formats, etc.
- Don't be afraid to run without a test if your gamble small.